Thursday, May 15, 2008

The whole world in my back yard.

I have to take a moment and write something on this blog about our living situation. It's such a huge part of who we are right now. It's a fabulous, multicultural, one-of-a-kind situation, and sadly I know I may never be in such a situation again. Our student family housing consists of people from all over the world and every day as I mingle with other moms or watch my children playing with kids from various countries, I am overwhelmed with a sense of gratitude. For instance, I share a garden with a muslim woman from Pakistan. My kids are babysat often by a girl from Ethiopia. My Korean neighbor, Unmi, knocks on the door sometimes with Korean food she has made. My Yoga teacher is from India. At any mom and tot gathering you will hear several languages and see various clothing styles (including a woman in a burkha sometimes). Noah's core friend group consists of two twin boys from India, two half Bangali, half Norweigen brothers, two mormon boys from Las Vegas and a boy from Russia! Last night I babysat for a couple from Tanzania because the mom is going back to Africa to try and adopt her husbands 13 year old relative who is living at an orphanage. At our spring clean-up and celebration, I looked around at everyone working together, laughing, talking. People of all different color and religions, and I wished the whole world could shine a spotlight on our community for a day. I think we could be an example for people everywhere of just what it means to be many cultures, yet one community. I know I am blessed to be here - and I plan on enjoying every day!

2 comments:

carrie said...

Makes me misty eyed....though I will admit almost everything is today! What an incredibly unique experience, what makes you Stacy and what we love is how you not only embrace it but thrive in it, I wish we could pop over for a visit!

Dan, Misty & Ashar said...

Yeah! You're back in business! Can I link your etsy site on my blog?
Cool post. Your community sounds awesome.