Monday, April 6, 2009

The Poem of the day

Rock n Roll Dad
by
Jaime Adoff

Rock n Roll Dad cooks
in the kitchen
radio blasts
always on ten!!
It's so LOUD, I have to shout,
"WHEN ARE WE GOING TO EAT!?"
Dad yells,
"SOOOOOON!"
Dancing past me with his spoon.
Pots shake,
pans vibrate.
Mom screams:
"It's an earthquake!"
"What?" Dad yells back.
I roll my eyes.
Mom shakes her head.
Rock n Roll Dad is a little deaf.
"A lot." Mom says.
"Too many years playing drums." Rock n Roll Dad shouts, twirling his sticks and stirring the sauce.
"Can I go to the club with you tonight?" I ask Dad.
"You're not old enough yet." He answers back.
"I want to go. I'm eight years old. I’m old enough to Rock n Roll."

. . . One day I'm gonna play the drums too.
My hands will fly so fast
my sticks will break the speed of sound.
I'll be the best drummer in town.
I play the plates with my carrot stick-sticks.
Splashing salsa cymbals with my rock n roll chips . . .

©2009 Jaime Adoff. All rights reserved.
Excerpt taken from "Rock n Roll Dad" to be published by Disney-Hyperion

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ohmyheck you guys! This blog is great!!