Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I'm lucky.

I get sick of the attention sometimes. Maybe it's because I tend to look young, or just because I am often wearing a baby, pushing a toddler in the cart, and have a six year old riding on the front, but inevitably someone at the grocery store turns to me and says, "Boy! You're busy". I generally want to tell them that they are the 13th person in the store who has said that to me, but I usually just smile and say, "Yep". Sometimes people say it to me when I don't even have Noah along. A few weeks ago at McDonalds a lady said to me, "You are a brave woman." I asked, "Because I have three kids, or because I take them all to McDonald's?" Her answer, "Both!" I know there are people out there with more children than me, but for some reason I attract a lot of attention. Honestly, I don't really like it. What is wrong with our world when people feel sorry for me for having three beautiful children? I have started thinking up smart-ass responses to their "You're busy!" comments. Things like: "Well, it's easier when I leave the other 12 kids at home." or "Yeah, the f#$&ing condomn keeps breaking!"
Today I walked by one of the many Asian moms who live in our complex. Many of them know me from kids crafts that I teach monthly, but have only seen Noah as I leave the babies with Brant on these nights. "You have 3 children?" she asked.
"Here we go", I thought, but just answered, "Yes."
"Wow!", She exclaimed, "You are lucky!"

1 comment:

carrie said...

I get ya, I get those comments with the girls all the time. I think its the whole "several" children of a certain age. What people say to us though is usually "Double Trouble" which I always correct saying no "Twice as Nice". I love your 12 kids comment, that would be funny.