Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Warm and Thankful

I'm presently listening to the sound recording of the book "Little Heathens", which is the story of a family and their lives on a farm in Iowa during the Great Depression. It has made me particularly grateful the last few days as we have been experiencing a cold snap here in Washington. To be able to get up and flip on the heat, turn on the hot water, and go to the bathroom inside truly is something I'm feeling thankful for!

The realization that though I have these wonderful commodities not everyone does hit home for me today during our Parent-Tot. Julia, our "teacher" said that she stopped at the "Tent City" which is not far from where we have our class to see if they needed anything, (I love love this about her, she doesn't just think wow they must be cold she stops to help!) anyway they said they were in need of blankets and batteries and she will be bringing them back a supply. It was startling to realize that without knowing it I was driving by this homeless community twice a week. I'm going to try tomorrow contact the church that is hosting them to see how I, and hopefully our church can help. But for today it is giving much to be thankful for as I think of how blessed and cared for I am and how thankful and grateful I am for God's care of me and my family.

No comments: