Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Triathlon Day!








I had some butterflies Sunday morning as I drove to pick Nikki up at 6am. It was finally Triathlon Day! We made our way down to Gennasse Park in Seattle which was the site from where all the various events would take place. My start time was 7:40, I was in Wave 20 and had a hot pink swim cap. Nikki's start time was 7:46, she was in Wave 22 and had a neon green cap. I being "older" got to go first :)

When it was time to head down to the starting point at the water I saw the swim course for the first time and immediately thought "CRAP!" it looked so long, I was thinking there is no way!!!! But that was not an option so after a cheer of "WE KICK ASS!" with all the rest of the ladies we were off! When we hit the 1/4 way point I was seriously thinking I'm not going to be able to do this! But of course you just keep going and by the time I was 3/4 of the way done I was finally feeling like I was finding a groove. Though I was moving at a relative snail pace and was expecting Nikki to pass me at any moment even with her starting 6 minutes after me!

I finally made it to shore and didn't even need help out :) I had enough energy that I actually did run to my bike which was a little ways away, threw on my helmet, my shirt, and stuffed on my socks and shoes and got going! As I headed out I passed Nikki running to her bike we shouted "You Go!" to each other in passing.

I knew I would have to book it on the 12 mile bike so that I would be able to pick up some time, after my slow swim. There were more hills then I was expecting but I pushed through and felt I made pretty good time. When I got to the finish section I dismounted, re-racked my bike, took off the helmet, grabbed my baseball cap and headed to the run on jello legs! I had to pee so bad but I was not stopping!

The first mile went by well, the second took forever but then I picked up the pace for the last 1.2 miles. I crossed the finish line strong and felt pretty good about my possible overall time. My goal had been to do it in under 2 hours but I really wanted to hit an 1hr and 45 min. My finish time ended up being 1 hr 45 min and 7 seconds. I feel really happy with that. I must say I'm glad it's over but will definitely be doing it again! I think we should all do it together some day in New York!!! We ended our day with much deserved Mexican food and Margaritas!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I am very proud of you! I can understand your emotions throughout only from the because I am teared up just from reading your account of it. Who knows... maybe I'll join you in NY - just because no one would expect me to do something like this!!!

stacita said...

I proud of you too! What an accomplishment. You do kick ass!

Nikki said...

We rock! I think they are having the Dasnkin in (or close to) Disney Land next year! We could make it a family deal! How much fun would it be for all of us to do it together. GIRL POWER!

Unknown said...

I have been thinking about you and waiting for you to post about your big day. I am so proud of you! Thanks for letting us know all about it. You guys are awesome!

Tisha said...

Way to go girls! I am so inspired by your personal pursuits despite your very full lives. Keep it up! I am determined to join you for a triathlon soon.