Wednesday, February 25, 2009

the Jesus Storybook Bible...Every story whispers his name


I LOVE this kids Bible. It portrays God, Jesus, and God's "Secret Rescue Plan" for the world in the exact way I want our girls to grow up viewing God. I highly recommend it for the family. We are trying to get in the habit (at about 4 out of 7 times a week) of reading it to the girls when we have breakfast together as sort of a family devotional. I'm not exaggerating when I say that both J and I cry almost every time we read it! It is so beautifully simple and loving and the truth of the way it portrays God moves me every time. Here is an excerpt we read today its basis is from Luke 8 when Jesus went to pray for Jairus' daughter.

...."Just then, Jairus' servant rushed up to Jairus. "It's too late," he said breathlessly. "Your daughter is dead" Jesus turned to Jairus "It's not too late," Jesus said. "Trust me." At Jairus' house, everyone was crying. But Jesus said, "I'm going to wake her up." Everyone laughed at him because they knew she was dead. Jesus walked into the little girl's bedroom. And there, lying in the corner, in the shadows, was the still little figure. Jesus sat on the bed and took her pale hand. "Honey," he said, "it's time to get up." And he reached down into death and gently brought the little girl back to life. The little girl woke up, rubbed her eyes as if she'd just had a good night's sleep, and leapt out of bed. Jesus threw open the shutters and sunlight flooded the dark room. "Hungry?" Jesus asked. She nodded. Jesus called to her family, "Bring this little girl some breakfast!"

JESUS HELPED AND HEALED MANY PEOPLE, LIKE THIS. HE MADE BLIND PEOPLE SEE. HE MADE DEAF PEOPLE HEAR. HE MADE LAME PEOPLE WALK. JESUS WAS MAKING THE SAD THINGS COME UNTRUE. HE WAS MENDING GOD'S BROKEN WORLD.

The simplicity of how this shows Jesus healing the little girl had tears rolling down at a rapid pace! J and I are struggling through our understanding of healing when our family is the one in need and the truth of this really moved me. This is just a few paragraphs from this story. But all of them Old Testament and New point to Jesus as the Rescuer. Makes me think a bit of the Kingdom books from YWAM!

1 comment:

stacita said...

Beautiful, Carrie. I am so excited. I have been reading to Noah out of the New Testament some and he loves it because it's new and different to him, but I have to say, it's not really at a 7 year old level!:) He would love this, and I have goose bumps just from reading what you wrote.
You are such a good resource.